Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Ravenous Rant: McNabb to Skins



So the Eagles finally traded away Donovan McNabb. I myself have never been a huge fan of Mr. McNabbs, likely because I am a Giants fan, but Philly fans have always treated him like trash and they’ve finally gotten their wish. While I get that they wanted Ricky Williams, having a QB who has been your starter for 10 years and taken the team to 5 NFC Championships games and a Super Bowl is a damn good draft pick. For some reason though, the shiny new toy syndrome has struck Eagle nation, as they want to see Kevin Kolb. While I understand why the Eagles traded McNabb (the 6 mil roster bonus he was owed didn’t help), what I don’t understand is why they traded him to the Redskins. Do the Eagles realize that the play in the same division as the Redskins? Now they are going to have to face Donovan at least twice. Throughout my time as a sports fan, one of the cardinal rules of trading has always been “never trade with a team in your division”. It seems that the Eagle management didn’t get the damn memo, as they have significantly upgraded the Redskins as a football team. Now there is little doubt that the Skins will pick an OT with the #4 overall pick, and if they can protect Donovan, he’ll be able to make that offense run. Sure, the pick that the Eagles got is a great value pick, as they will likely be able to get a first round talent., but they traded away the face of their damn franchise for the last decade. While I really have no ill will toward Kevin Kolb, I kinda want to see him struggle, so that Philly fans will understand that they had a damn good QB, but refused to see it. As a Giant fan, I feel like the Skins are better, but not good enough to really contend for the Beast title. The Eagles, on the other hand, are giving the reigns of an explosive offense to a QB who has started less than 10 games in the NFL. Sure he played well, but teams will begin to scheme around his skillset, and we will see how good he is. With this trade, I’ve now become more focused on the Boys as the team to beat in the Beast. What this can do, however, is re-establish the NFC East as the best division in football, as it was for 3 of the last 4 years (in my opinion, but they had 3 of 4 teams in the playoffs for like 3 years in a row).

-THE-A-TRAIN-

As a fan of the remaining NFC East team, The Dallas Cowboys, I told the train I'd drop my own opinion down here.
I'm not a fan of Donovan McNabb. I actually loved him and Marvin Harrison at Syracuse, but once he went to Philly, he lost me. I think that his flaws are consistently ignored both on and off the field. He was completely exonerated of blame in the TO saga, because TO is a jerk. Just because TO is a jerk doesn't mean that Donovan wasn't petty and over-sensitive. Jeff Garcia and Tony Romo dealt with similar issues, while not looking like Tools (I know, you're saying Cowboys fan, you just love Tony Romo. Not actually true. I actually think he may be a tool, but he didn't show it in the TO stuff). He also has to lead the league by a ton in "balls that are bulleted at a receiver's feet or 2 yards short" since he came into the league. That said, he has a lot of physical talent, for a while, had really grown into his game. I think that he took too much stake in trying to betray the title of "running quarterback" in recent years, but he still has found plenty of success. He will make the Redskins legit. The Skins have things going on defense, but the Offense has been lacking. I think Jason Campbell is an adequate NFL QB, but he didn't have the trust of his coach and team. McNabb will instantly have that trust and start leading this offense. He is used to working with a mediocre receiving core, and he has a backfield of Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis and Willie Parker. By the laws of probability, one them have to produce this season. This is a great get for the Skins. (The Train points out their ability to draft OL now in the first round. Great success!)
As for trading within the division. It seems like they are asking for trouble. McNabb is undoubtedly going to have success against the Eagles. He has practiced against that D for years. The D has seen him too, but he is changing offenses; the Eagles D remains the same. You just can't do this to yourself if you're the eagles. Kevin Kolb is going to experience growing pains. That is part of NFL life. But you can't let him experience those pains while the guy you ditched is putting up big numbers against the SAME EXACT TEAMS. How is that going to make you look?! If asked to predict how this will affect the two teams, I'll go THIS far.

Before trade NFC East Standings

Cowboys
Giants
Eagles
Redskins

After trade NFC East Standings

Cowboys
Giants
Redskins
Eagles

That's right! I said it! (typed it*)

Ravenously,

APT

No comments:

Post a Comment