Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

The Marshall Plan



The Miami Dolphins made what I would consider a great trade this week, acquiring Brandon Marshall from the Denver Broncos for a 2nd round pick in each of the next 2 drafts. This is certainly not a nothing-price, but in return, the Dolphins acquired at top-5 NFL receiver. To currently rank all the Wide Receivers in the NFL right now, the list would have to go something like...

(I did this quickly and it is based upon capability for production, not any kind of proven production)

1. "Nice Hands" Larry Fitzgerald
2. Andre Johnson
3. Brandon Marshall
4. Reggie Wayne
5. Sidney Rice
6. Vincent Jackson
7. Calvin Johnson
8. Greg Jennings
9. Anquan Boldin
10. Marques Colston
11. Randy Moss
12. Santonio Homes
13. Roddy White
14. Wes Welker
15. Miles Austin

(This was supposed to be a list of 10 but I felt bad leaving some people out.)

Anyway, the point is that the Dolphins made themselves a lot better in one quick move. They now have a weapon for their young quarterback, that other defenses can only stop if they leave the 80% of the field vulnerable. There is no better safety blanket than a receiver like that. If the Dolphins can keep their 2-headed backfield healthy, maintaining prime effectiveness of the only legitimate WildCat offense, then their scoring production is going to soar. Simply the natural development of gained experience will put Chad Henne in a position to thrive. He is used to having big, near uncoverable split-outs (Mario Mannigham and Adrian Arrington at Michigan). I am a believer in Henne. I think he is a winner, his flaws are not drastic, and in the right situation, he can be a substantial producer in the NFL. The Dolphins are one giant step closer to creating that type of "right situation".

One of my first thoughts, however, when I saw this deal was made was, "I hope they don't quickly turn around and trade Ted Ginn, Jr." For those up with news, they have just traded Ginn to San Francisco. They get a 5th round pick back, which isn't enough for the kind of player Ted Ginn can be. Ginn's problem is that he is not a #1 receiving option and he is not made to excel when split out against a teams #1 cover guy + safeties. But if you want to know about his abilities just ask "Flavor of the Year" Darelle Revis. Ginn was the only receiver in the league able to light up Revis this past season. He was simply too fast for Revis to cover without umbrella help. I'm assuming that the decision to trade Ginn has a lot to do with the combined factors of Finances and Satisfaction in the ability of Davone Bess. I'm not fluent in Miami's financial situation, but I think they are missing a golden opportunity. For more on Ginn, we turn to...

EVERY DAY SPORTS WITH PIERRE ESCARGOT

me: marshall was for 2nd round 2010 and 2nd round 2011 right?
A-Train: i do believe so
me: words
A-Train: then theodore ginn to the 9ers for a 5th this year
me: yeah i saw that
i was gonig to write in my marshall post how they shouldn't trade tedd ginn
but it's too late
now i have to wriet how they shouldn't have traded tedd ginn
A-Train: yeah
i guess they have faith in devone bess
me: i suppose
but just cause you acquire matt holiday to bat 4th and play left
doesn't mean you trade denard span
it just means you are super relieved that denard span doesn't have to bat fourth and play left
cause now he can bat first and play center
where devon bess really should be at 2nd batting in the 2 hole
A-Train: word
but thats a good move for the 9ers
me: because as much as i'm sure you'll admit denard span should not be a clean up hitter
i ask you this
is denard span fast?
A-Train: i do believe so
he has referred to as notoriously fast
me: i've heard it
so where does that leave ginn on the niners
in the slot where he should be on the dolfans?
did isaac bruce retire?
A-Train: not sure
but probably will if he hasnt already
me: they still list him
but i imagine it will be crabtree and josh mogan wide
with ginn slotted
A-Train: but whats weird with the 9ers is that vernon davis is essentially their #1
i would imagine itll be crabtree as the 1 receiver
me: yeah but that's fine
A-Train: then ginn as 2
me: well it's like San Diego 2 years ago
Gates was obviously the #1 option
but they still had a receiver hierarchy
A-Train: word
me: i am less concerned about where people rank in the hierarchy
and more about where they will best succeed positionally
the way that wes welker is (was) the best receiver on the Pats
but he should be in the slot
A-Train: yeah
me: or how Roy E. Williams might suck
but if he's on teh field
he should be split out to the open side
A-Train: yeah
i think the fact that davis is dangerous should open things up for theodore
me: yeah, definitely
it'll move safeties
and if you can move safeties
give ted ginn some room
A-Train: and theodore with room
not good for the other team
me: no, severely hampering to scoring defense numbers

me: i like i talk to you while blogging
because then i can just copy and paste it
instead of doing actual blogging
and now it comes up as A-Train
instead of Tom

-APT

No comments:

Post a Comment