Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

AN ODE TO RAFF



In case you missed it, the Final Four is less than one week away. While this upcoming weekend is one of the more exciting ones of the year in sports, I always find myself sad at this time because I know that one of sports broadcasting’s most scintillating voices is about to go into hibernation for the next eight months or so. Bill Raftery takes a sport that I already love to watch and somehow makes it even more enjoyable.

Being a product of the great state of New Jersey, I grew up watching New Jersey Nets telecasts. These exhibits of basketball virtuosity were (more often than not) called by the announcing tandem of Ian Eagle and Bill Raftery, so at an early age I was exposed to the greatness that is the Silver Catchphrase Machine. For some reason, I crack a giant smile pretty much anytime he opens his mouth, and on top of that, he is a legitimate expert on the game that often contributes insightful comments to the telecast, which is a much rarer quality than a lot of people realize these days.

I can think of no better way to honor one of my idols than presenting a Top 5 list of my favorite Bill Raftery catchphrases (with YouTube links):

5. “Onions!” (around 0:08)
4. “The big fella!” (around 6:12)
3. “With the smooch!” / ”With the kiss!” (around 0:12, and for good measure he throws in a line about Belgian waffles…brilliant)
2. “[Team on defense] goes man-ta-man!” (around 0:15)
And of course…
1. “Send it in!”

Note: There is a great article I came across on SI.com, by Kevin Armstrong, that does BR much more justice than I can…definitely check it out.

Book it!

-The BOMB

No comments:

Post a Comment