Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

NFL (non Super Bowl) News and Notes

As I've somewhat struggled for topics to feature in a post, I decided today that it would be a great idea to just use a list of short stories and comments in a News and Notes post. I will now try to do this for most sports from time to time, especially in low, non-playoff times, and such. I will try to come up with a clever title for these such posts. Unfortunately, I already used Bolts as a different thing. Let me wiki Lightning and think of something...

And I've got it. They will be called "Sprites".



Sprites are large-scale electrical discharges which occur high above a thunderstorm cloud, or cumulonimbus, giving rise to a quite varied range of visual shapes. They are triggered by the discharges of positive lightning between the thundercloud and the ground.[3] The phenomena were named after the mischievous sprite (air spirit) Puck in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. They normally are colored reddish-orange or greenish-blue, with hanging tendrils below, and arcing branches above, their location, and can be preceded by a reddish halo.[4] They often occur in clusters, lying 50 miles (80 km) to 90 miles (145 km) above the Earth's surface. Sprites were first photographed on July 6, 1989 by scientists from the University of Minnesota and have since been witnessed tens of thousands of times.[5] Sprites have been held responsible for otherwise unexplained accidents involving high altitude vehicular operations above thunderstorms. [wiki]

So here we go. Your NFL (Super Bowl XLIV not included) Sprites:

I.

ESPN informed me of this one. The NFL unveiled a new base logo design to be used starting Super Bowl XLV. I personally dig it. I figured I'd show it to you guys. It would take one hell of a bonus, but APT is hoping to be able to get tickets to next years big game at Cowboys Stadium, hopefully to see the Cowboys as the first team to host the Super Bowl.

II. Mike Martz is the new Offensive Coordinator of the Chicago Bears. It certainly took a while to make what I thought was a no-brain decision, but they got it done. Lovie Smith was a DC under Martz in St. Louis, so they should be ready to work together, and I would hope that Lovie respects Martz enough to leave him alone, and that the Bears will look to bring in some players to work with him. Matt Forte can be a great back in the system that made Marshall Faulk who he is today, and I think Jay Cutler can be great if he can be coached. I think Martz can do that. The system might nullify KeithBlog sleeper of the year Greg Olsen, but I still think it will do great things. I haven't heard rumors of it, but I expect the Bears to be tied to Brandon Marshall as soon as the trade talks intensify. If he comes in as a familiar and incredibly talented number one, Devin Aromashodu looked at the end of the year like he had what it takes, and I think that although he is a terrible #1, Devin Hester can be a great #3 or #4 deep threat/return man. Johnny Knox can be a very viable slot man as well. Look out for the Bears

III. Rex Ryan was getting brutally verbally abused by a fan at an MMA event (The way Jay Glazier told the story, it was pretty intense), and he gave him the finger. A few thoughts: I wish that we didn't live in a world where we see every middle finger that everyone ever flashes on the back page of a newspaper, the Jets probably should have let him off easy considering the tremendous abuse he was taking, and Rex, you have to know better than to do shit like this, and if you ARE going to react to this asshole, are you really going to waste your 50K giving him the finger? At least react like a man. The finger is one of the dumbest things that we've ever created (see Jerry Seinfeld's bit about it, where he talks about giving someone the toe).

IV. As s Cowboys fan, I have to send out thoughts and wishes to ma boy Jay Novacek. He was a very underrated part of the 3 1990s Dallas Super Bowls. Novacek's wife had been battling depression and committed suicide this past week. APT is very sorry Jay.

V. I am sick of Bill Cowher. He keeps saying he wants to coach, other people say he wants to coach. I have ABSOLUTELY no problem if the chin only wants to take certain jobs. He is entitled to it, but I wish he would stop interviewing for shit jobs. He should just sit back until the job he wants (Jerome Bettis says he's waiting for the Giant Job) opens and then do his thing. Until then, I'm sick of hearing about him for a week every time a job opens that I know he's not taking.

VI. Kurt Warner was one of the best QB's I've seen play football. He was also a great pleasure to listen to in interviews. I picture he and Ken Whisenhunt (another of my favorite interviews) enjoying Johnny Blue on the rocks and having some conversations I will never have the pleasure of enjoying the equivalent of. He had a brilliant career in a limited time, is a no doubt hall of famer, and I wish him great success beyond today.

VII. On that note, Matt Leinart does not have what it takes to drive that offense. He consistently failed playing in Garbage time, which should be an easy time to play. The problem with this job is you can't just give it to a rookie, because it's pass oriented and so close to Super Bowl contention. I also think AZ needs to use their draft on more defense. They need a pass rushing DE and an outside linebacker and I think they can succeed. Maybe Jason Campbell will be available. Outside that maybe you try to see if you can draft a late round QB that could turn into something, and wrestle Jon Kitna from his backup job with the Cowboys and have him start for the next couple seasons until your guy is ready or available. Sleeper options: Tyler Thigpen of the dolphins. This kid can throw the ball and I think can succeed on a real team. Could also take a flyer out on Sage Rosenfels or Jeff Garcia.

VIII. I just want to note for those that read the NFL Rumor Mill on ESPN, that ma boy Tom and I have been talking about Adalius Thomas going to the Jets after this year since probably 4 games into the season. So if this does happen, just know who broke the story first. (But note, the Jets should be more interested in waving money at Elvis Dumervil to play in Brian Thomas' spot (granted BT played some of his best games towards the end of the season. Maybe there is a 3-4 DE/passrusher combo that I don't know about)).


Spritely,

APT

No comments:

Post a Comment