Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

NBA Sprites



I. Mavs get Brendan Haywood and Caron Butler from the Wizards: The Mavs get basically Eric Dampiere with knees as well as Butler, who will be much more effective scorer than the aging Josh Howard.

II. Lebron's prospects: From all I can tell, it seems like this is going to come down to Lebron staying with the Cavs or going to the Knicks. I hear vague things about the Brooklyn Nets or the Heat, but we can't even be 100% sure that there will be any Brooklyn Nets and the Heat are having enough trouble keeping Dewayne Wade in Miami. I understand that getting Lebron would help do that, but things just don't seem to be moving fluidly there. APT's take: Lebron stays in Cleveland, Dewayne Wade goes to Chicago, the Knicks Get Joe Johnson and Chris Bosh.

III. The Nets have a chance to be the worst team in NBA history. Will it happen? APT's take: I don't know why they are this bad. Any team with the inside-outside combo of Devin Harris and Brooke Lopez should not be this terrible. I imagine that as other teams fall out of it and older teams wear down, the Nets will pick up some wins. 12-70

IV. All-Star Game: The one good thing I can say about what I saw of the NBA All-Star Game-> there was exponentially more defense than in the Rookie/Sophmore game. And the gameplay wasn't nearly as ugly. It also had a good ending. My friends and I debated who gets the last shot for the Western Conference. As we suspected, it turned out to be Mello, and although he didn't make much of it, there was still some excitement, which is nice. As long as the NBA is happy with a meaningless exhibition, the game will deliver. It showcases some talent, and a few players actually play. If they want a real game, then they'll have to create some incentive.

V. All-Star Weekend: The dunk-in was okay, the dunk contest sucked. HORSE was a joke. The obstacle course skills race type thing and the 3 person team shooting contest are just stupid. Sadly, I missed what I expected to be a great 3 point shootoff, but from the numbers I saw, the players really didn't show up as intensely as I would have hoped. And I already pointed out how much of a shit-show the Rookie/Sophmore game was.

VI. Kobe's Injury: There was a rumor he might play tonight, but he won't be playing. Now that his game streak is over, Kobe should rest the hell out of that Ankle. His team played well without him going into the break (Lamar Odom really can shine at times). The Lakers can coast in the second half, and hopefully Kobe takes advantage of that.

VII. Trade market: I guess I can thank the NBA for adding some spice to a down time in Pro Sports. The stove has been hot nearing the deadline. A lot of it having to do with the long-awaited 2010 free-agent market opening. Marcus Camby went to Portland today. Expect 2 or 3 more major moves before it's over. The Cavs will almost certainly be doing something, though I think Amare will be in Miami.

VIII. Camby: As mentioned, Marcus Camby was traded to Portland for Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw. The Blazers had a glutton of permiter guys. The clippers set up well for the future and the Blazers get Camby, who is still a dominant inside force defensively and on the boards. He should be strong for them down the stretch. APT has always been a Camby fan.

IX. T-Mac: I don't know if I would list it among the 2 or 3 predicted major moves, but it looks like T-Mac might be headed to New York for either Larry Hughes or Al Harrington. The Knicks are also trying to parlay this into the removal of Jarred Jeffries from their cap number. This could be a fun trade if nothing else. The rockets would get a professional ball player for what now is a blackhole in their line-up, and the Knicks would be set up to sign 2 MAX free agents. I also would like to see T-Mac play, as a fan, so anything that leads to it is welcome. APT has always been a T-Mac fan.

X. Finals Prediction: The Cavs seem to be trying to secure the Eastern Conference with a major move. Would Stoudamire be the difference? It would seem so, but it would certainly be a style change for Amare. Antwan Jamison could be a better addition, because I think that Mo Williams and Lebron can score. APT will echo the masses and put the Lakers in the finals, because it's almost stupid not to (almost), but I will go with Orlando. Stan "Master of Panic" Van Gundy will find a way to get Dwight Howard the ball come the playoffs and having a guy like Vince Carter that can provide self-sustained scoring is a big playoff factor. As long as Vince can pick his nights (and with the possibility of a championship in the balance, I think he'll figure it out), I'll take Orlando back in the Finals as well. X-FACTOR THE BIG JESTER. It certainly seems Shaq can get into Dwight Howard's head. For those looking for the reason that the Cavs went after Shaq, there it is.

No one touches the Shaqtus.

Spritely,

APT

No comments:

Post a Comment