Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

More (Fake) Mail?!

Being we still have very few readers, we still get pretty much no mail. Therefore, here is another bag of fake mail that allows me to write about various unrelated things in one post:

First one from Jerry, who says he's from New York but is actually from New Jersey:

So...the word is in, the Super Bowl is coming to New York!! I don't know what took so long. I bet you're stoked. See you in 3 1/2 years!

I've got to agree with you, Jerry. I have no idea why it took so long. I understand that the Super Bowl is as much a business as any sporting event in the World. But I don't see how business can be bad in New York City. Although the game is at the Meadowlands, the party is in NYC, and no one can complain about a party in NYC, no matter the season. Arthur Blank of the Falcons said it best when asked if he thought people would come to New York in February, if a they had the Super Bowl: "They already go." As for the cold weather, I hear complaints that it puts teams at a disadvantage, but a number of the teams in this league, build their roster knowing that they are going to have cold weather games. These teams are constantly held at a disadvantage in Super Bowls, as high octane teams are given perfect weather conditions 95% of the time. I think it'll be great for football and New York to have the game there. And, to tell you the truth, I hope it snows. It'll be great. (I will take some exception if the Pro Bowl is still held the week before at the Super Bowl Location. I don't agree with the timing of the game, but I'll deal with it. However, maybe it'd still be better off in Hawaii, especially for a cold weather Super Bowl location. The all stars don't deserve to have to spend a game in trying weather.)
-APT

From Cal in Ohio:

Big Ten expansion is the biggest story in College Sports right now, but I haven't heard you say a thing about it. I know it's more business then sports, but you can't possibly ignore such a substantial impending event.

Cal, you're right. I can't ignore these expansion talks. I'm probably better off just giving you my opinion on college conference expansion. I'm all for the expansion of conferences. I think it's a great idea to give schools a chance to play on the big stage. However, I'm not for all these conferences picking teams out of other big conferences for their benefit. I want expansion to give MORE teams a chance to succeed, not create 4 huge conferences, ultimately letting less teams compete. I agree that all the big 6 should have an even number of teams. I think that would be helpful for the post season. But how about we use it for inclusion, like this:

Every team with 12.

Big 10 adds ND
Pac 10 adds Boise State and Utah
Big East adds Army, Navy, East Carolina and Ball State

Or if every team wants to 14, even.

same as above, then

ACC adds UCF and Troy
Big 10 adds Air Force, Colorado State
Big 12 adds TCU, UTEP
Big East adds Richmond, Appalachian State
Pac 10 adds BYU and Fresno State
SEC adds Southern Miss, SMU

I'm not saying these conferences are ideal. I'm just saying that if you want to expand, that's great. But we can create a more competitive, fair game. I don't think molding these super-conferences is a benefit to the game in any way.
-APT

Phrank in Philly:

So, APT, ya boy Jaro Halak didn't have sh*t on my Flyers? What happened? Who ya got in the SC Finals?

Thanks for the question Phrank. I hope I accurately portrayed a Philadelphia Phan with your question. If you look at the post I put up after game 2, there were match-up problems in this series for the Canadiens. The Pens and Caps, being more skill oriented and smaller defensively, were susceptible to what the Habs could offer. The Flyers used their size to punish the small forwards of Montreal, throwing them out of rhythm for most of the series. And the power forwards for Philly were not disrupted by the influence of Gill, Saban, Hamrlik, etc. Let's not forget, the Flyers added some hot goaltending of their own, Leighton shutting out the Habs 3 times!
As for the Finals, I think it will be an interesting match-up. The scoring forwards for Chicago are a lot bigger than Gionta and Cammy. Patty Kane, Toews, Marian Hossa and company are not easy to knock off the puck, so it should be a good physical fight in the Flyers end. It'll be interesting to see how the Hawks transition threat that their young defensemen provide affects how intense the Flyers can fight deep down in the Chicago end. The Chicago D is much more adept offensively and that could cause problems on quick breakouts against the Philadelphia grinders. The goalies are both hot but both unproven, so it's tough to say how they'll affect the series. I think team-wise the Blackhawks are a little better, but I'm going to give the goaltending edge, from what I've seen, to the Flyers. Combine that with a little bit more experience, and what do you say to a 7-gamer in the Finals. Let's say Philly in 7.
-APT

This one comes special deliver from Alan in Phoenix.

Hey APT. Sorry it took me so long to take your advice about playing zone against LA. Seems it's pretty effective. Just wanted to say thanks.

No problem, Mr. Gentry. Just don't show your hand too early in later game. Mix in the zone, but don't put it out there all day, especially against the Lakers second unit.
-APT
(Celebrity impersonated)

Lastly, we have Rochelle in New Rochelle:

Hey APT! What kind of piece of crap blog is this that you can't get any real reader emails.

Rochelle makes a point. Help me answer her. Write the blog. (link to the right)
-APT

No comments:

Post a Comment