Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

BOLT: Grant Whybark

Here is the article on ESPN if you haven't seen it.

I have no problem with what Grant Whybark did. I think he had a point that the rule was stupid. I don't see why one golfer should take two qualification spots. The spot should go to the highest finisher who hasn't already qualified. If they allow for a certain number of National Qualifiers, why not use them. He makes another great point that he's not taking anything away from anybody. I guess you could say that if Seth Doran were to achieve success at Nationals, a golfer that did not deserve to be there may have gotten in the way of golfers that did. Though if Doran has that kind of success it only proves the words of Whybark when he says that it was obvious Doran deserved it.

I personally think that we should admire Whybark for his actions. I respect the competitiveness of athletes both in professional sports and in collegiate sports, but that doesn't mean we have to look down on modesty and sportsmanship. Whybark did not break any rules to do what he did and he did not jeopardize the success of any other player, so I'll thank Grant for reminding us that "opponent" and "enemy" are not synonymous.

-APT

No comments:

Post a Comment